Wednesday 13 October 2010

Pickled Cauliflower

I think Cauliflowers are like buses - they all come at once. Last weekend we had three very fine looking specimens waiting to be harvested. Rather than let the slugs eat them we decided to pick the lot.
I was already on a preserving rampage with jam and chutney under my belt (not literally that would be messy) so I decided it was best to cook the one for lunch and to pickle the remaining two. It is a know fact around our house that my wife is rather keen on pickled veg and will eat a whole jar in one sitting if allowed! I'm not so keen and struggle to eat a few pieces with a bag of crisps!
To pickle them I consulted a large number of my preserving books and then did my own thing (heavily influenced by said books).
  • First wash and cut the cauliflower in bit sized pieces
  • Then leave it in a brine to draw the moisture out for 24 hours(the brine was 100g of salt to 1 litre of water)
  • Sterilise the kilner jar and fill with the vegetable
  • Pour over the vinegar making sure it is all covered
  • Seal and leave for a few weeks before eating
I'm even considering hiding this from my wife as she might eat the lot when I'm not in and make herself ill!

No comments: